Location: Washington D.C.
Webpage: National Park Service
General Description: After the Battle of Fort Stevens on July 11-12, 1864 the 40 of the Union soldiers that died during the battle were buried on this 1 acre of a fruit orchard near the fort. Abraham Lincoln dedicated the site as the evening of July 12 as the Battleground National Cemetery to the Union soldiers that died defending the national capitol. Along with the grave markers there are 4 monuments to the units that fought in the battle.
1) The cemetery is very small since it contains the remains of only 41 soldiers. One of the soldiers who fought in the battle was buried when he died in 1936 at the age of 92. It is closed for any further burials. Washington D.C. had grown since the Civil War, so this cemetery is now a part of the Brightwood neighborhood. Parking is limited to the residential street in this old neighborhood.
2) We learned at this point that most National Park facilities on closed on Mondays instead of the weekend, but we were fortunate that there was a NPS employee there overseeing some restoration work that was being done in the cemetery.